Friday, October 17, 2008

Shempi, Upside Down Dogs, and the Japanese Space Elevator

My current musical obsession:



Ratatat is the band, "Shempi" is the name of the song. Interesting stuff. They also have an album full of remixes of rap songs which may be the niftiest synthesis ever conceived of by mortal music engineers.

Also, this might bring joy to your day.

This one is my favorite:




A friend of mine pointed this out as well. Apparently, the Japanese are building a space elevator. Holy crap, they're going to take over space. That is, if the Chinese don't do it first.

He also pointed out that Firefly would be a better way for things to end up, especially when faced with other... alternatives. Although, I do have to admit that I've always wanted a gigantic flying robot battle suit, and if Japan does start building them, and like, recruiting pilots to destroy the rest of the world (and the aliens, obviously), I would probably be first in line.

Either way, I'm thinking we should all start learning Chinese immediately.

Right now, I'm sitting here thinking about how neat it is that I might see the a new space race in my life time. And this time, we might do some things that no one expected would ever be possible.

What if, within my lifetime, you take a drive down to your local space port and hop a shuttle to the moon? Maybe that's still way far off, but one can always hope.

No comments: